Magnetic Island has undergone a sustainable energy transformation that will change the way we think about and use electricity – now and into the future.
Through the Magnetic Island Solar Suburb initiative, Ergon Energy has shown residents, businesses and property owners how solar power, smart meters and energy efficiency initiatives can meet energy needs while minimising harm to our environment.
As part of the initiative, Ergon Energy has:
- conducted free energy assessments of Magnetic Island homes and businesses;
- installed solar PV systems;
- installed smart meters;
- offered participants free ‘ecoMeter’ in-house displays to show electricity consumption at a glance;
- provided a range of advice and other measures to save electricity;
- conducted research on electricity usage to develop future sustainable energy use models; and
- redeveloped the former Horseshoe Bay Sport and Recreation Club into the Smart Lifestyle Centre – a centre for community education and engagement.